"For Want of A Better Title" (The Futurama Epic)
 

By: Roscoe Mathieu
INT. SHOT - DR. Zoidberg’S Office
LEELA is on a bed, with Fry and Bender standing next to her. Fry keeps running around in little circles, much like the "Fire, fire fire fire fire" guy from the Simpsons’ "Mountain of Madness". DR. Zoidberg is standing in front of Leela.
DR. Zoidberg: "Okay. I read up on this. Now you’re supposed to feel pain."
LEELA: "I don’t feel anything."
DR. Zoidberg: (looking around) "Okay, then. You’re supposed to push something or other."
LEELA: "You mean this?" (clenches her teeth and grimaces)
DR. Zoidberg: "Yes, that’s the thingy. Now, keep pushing that thingy."
LEELA: "You know, Fry, the father is supposed to give moral support here." (starts pushing)
Bender looks at Fry, going around in little circles.
Bender: "I’d say that he needs moral support here."
DR. Zoidberg: "Okay, I see purple coming from the thingy. I think that’s your young."
LEELA: "It better be, this is starting to ache."
DR. Zoidberg: "Done!"
Fry stops circling. Zoidberg hands him the baby in a blanket, and he presents it to Leela. She has purple hair with orange highlights, Fry’s nose and mouth…and Leela’s eye.
Fry: "Okay, Bender. I owe you five bucks; she has one eye."
LEELA: (sitting up) "Pretty, isn’t she?"
Fry: "Yeah, I guess she is."
LEELA: "Does Fela sound good to you?"
Fry: "Sure…(starts tickling Fela) a goochie goo, a gooch…Ow! (starts shaking hand) She bit my finger! I…oh, she was hungry." Leela starts laughing under her breath.

N/A - Special Note
White letters, black background.
ANNOUNCER: "The previous scene was really, really important. If you can’t remember it or the consequences of it, the rest of the show may not make any sense.
We’re just warning you. Do you still remember it? Oh, well. Here comes the show anyway."

(ROLL TITLES)

Ext. Shot - Robot Arms Apts.
A few seconds of peaceful silence, then an ear shattering sound…
Fela: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Int. Shot - Fry and Leela’s room (Bender is in the Closet)
Fry and Leela (in twin beds, on opposite sides of the room) awaken to the sound of Fela’S screams. Neither one moves.
LEELA: (getting up) "Fry, it’s your turn."
She gets up and in her nightgown proceeds to gently kick Fry out of bed.
Fry: (whining) "But I'm just not as good at getting up out of my comfy warm bed to change a diaper as you are Leela..."
LEELA: "Oh knock it off! I'm sick of you pretending you don't know how to do anything to get out of doing it! If we're going to make this work, you're going to change as many diapers as
I am!"
Leela grabs Fry’s arm, and pulls him from the bed.
Fry: "But I never remember which settings to press on the machine..."
LEELA: "Well then get out of bed and I'll show you how to do it... again! And again! And again until you get it!"
Slow dissolve to…

Int. Shot - Window Room
Leela is standing at a table with a large machine over it. Fela is changed on the table. The angle is such that we can’t see Fry.
LEELA: (turning) "Got all that Fry?"
She turns, and so does the camera. Fry is slumped against the wall, sleeping standing up, drool trickling out of his mouth.
LEELA: (annoyed sound)

Ext. Shot - Robot Arms Apts.
Subtitled "The next night." A few seconds of peaceful silence, then an ear shattering sound…
Fela: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Int. Shot - Fry and Leela’s room (Bender’S in the Closet)
Fry and Leela (needless to say, in twin beds) awaken to the sound of Fela’S screams. Neither one moves.
LEELA: (getting up, annoyed) "Alright…I’ll do it again."
She gets up and walks out of the room.

Int. Shot - Kitchen
Leela, carrying Fela, walks to the "future-tastic" fridge (that’s really one of those 50s green ones with a light bulb on the top), opens it, and looks inside. Clearly labeled is a bottle of brown liquid that says "APPLE JUICE" with the smaller lettering "NEW larger letters for wee-hour feedings!"
Leela removes the bottle and starts feeding it to the young girl. Fela makes the same sounds as Maggie while she sucks it. After only a few sucks she spits out the bottle.
LEELA: (under her breath) "I’m going to get him for this…"
She reaches for the top of her tank-top and starts pulling. (‘Indecent Exposure? What indecent exposure?’)

Ext. Shot - Farnsworth’S Lab…Observatory…Lighthouse…Thing?
General exterior set-up shot. Leela (wearing her green tank-top) and Fry (carrying Fela), one behind the other, trudge up to the door and open it. Bender follows, in a seemingly cheery mood.

Int. Shot - Conference Room
I seem to like this room. Anyway, Hermes, Farnsworth, Amy, and Zoidberg are already seated. We hear a bell ring thrice, then we see Fry and Leela enter (their backs facing us)
Amy: "Good morning!"
Hermes: "So how’s the happy couple today?"
Fry: (tired) "What do you think?"
Jump shot to the front of "the happy couple" who are tired, unkempt, and in a general state of disrepair. They sit, grateful for sitting. Bender walks in and seats himself, totally unnoticed.
Fry: "I had to stand Fela’s screaming all night."
Leela narrows her eye at him.
Bender: "The best thing about being a robot is that I can turn off my microphones."
The tension is picked up by everyone, and the table descends into silence.
FARNSWOTH clears his throat.
Farnsworth: "Now would be a good time to show you…"
He reaches under the table, and with great effort manages to pick up the remote control. He presses a button and a piece of equipment about as high as one’s waist rises out of the floor. It resembles a Coleman lamp, only bigger.
Zoidberg: "Give me a second, I need to use the bathroom." (he leaves the room)
Farnsworth: "After unearthing an ancient piece of equipment known as a ‘Fictional Integrity Drive,’ I managed to recreate a useable model. Unfortunately, Fry and Leela are the only ones who can test this machine, due to the plot contrivances of the machine and such."
Fry: "Huh?"
Farnsworth: "It’s a picky machine and that’s all it’ll tell me."
Farnsworth presses a button (labeled "DUES EX MACHINA") on the Fictional Integrity Drive. A screen blinks on.
Farnsworth: (reading) "‘Plot point.’"
Fry: "What does that mean?"
Farnsworth: "I have no…"
All of a sudden, the machine’s tube starts glowing, then a large, spinning blue tunnel appears in the air (Meta Reference Corner: The Vortex is an homage to Sliders.
This script is liberally dosed with obscure references. Deal.)
It should be noted here and now that everyone is shouting over the noise of the Vortex.
Farnsworth: "This is called a plot hole. It’s the entrance to a wormhole leading into the past."
Everyone except Farnsworth gets up to examine the plot hole up close.
Amy: "So you mean all we have to do is slide into this (points at plot hole) and BOOM, we’re on another planet?"
FARNSWORTH: "No. Same planet, different time."
Fry: "Ooh! Ooh! This is like on that one TV show, right? Uh, what was it…? (thinks hard) Slippers, wasn’t it?"
Farnsworth: "You had better not waste time. This plot hole is only open for one minute."
LEELA: (turning to face the Professor) "Should I bring Fela?"
Farnsworth: "We have no idea where this plot hole leads. Think of an apple pie cut into a million slices, and you can only eat one. Which slice would you choose?"
LEELA: "What does that have to do with anything?"
Fry: "Just give me an hour to figure out what your meta-fur means!"
Farnsworth: "Basically, we don’t know where you are going! All we know is how long you’ll stay! I’ve set the Fictional Integrety Drive to bring you back in three days, relatively speaking!"
LEELA: "Wait, why should we risk our lives for you?"
Farnsworth: "Don’t worry. This is paid overtime."
LEELA: "It might not be worth the risk for her! (motions to Fela, then looks around at the options for a baby sitter in the room. {this scene will resemble the ‘picking a boyfriend’ scene from Titanic} Here eye settles on Amy) Amy, can you take care of Fela for a few days?"
Amy: "I think so! I don’t have any dates planned for the next several days!"
Leela hands Amy Fela, then takes a final look around the room. While the previous conversation was going on, Fry was busy getting some supplies from another room (he is now wearing a backpack).
Farnsworth: "You’ll need this! I converted a cellular phone into a timing device to bring you back! (throws timer to Fry) Now, hurry! You only have a few seconds left!" (starts monitoring the screen on the FID)
Fry: "You go first!"
Leela huffs, then jumps in and promptly disappears. The plot hole closes abruptly.
Farnsworth: (in normal voice) "Oh, my. That wasn’t supposed to happen."
(starts pressing buttons on the FID, and the Vortex opens again) "It might not lead to the same destination, but it’s the closest chance we have!"
Fry takes a breath, then jumps in. The plot hole closes behind him. Zoidberg walks in from the bathroom.
Zoidberg: "What did I miss?"

N/A - Inside the Wormhole
Fry is travelling along a rainbow-colored tube that twists and contorts in odd directions. He looks around and notices:
1) A flying DeLorean
2) A phone booth
3) Two teenagers
4) Sam Beckett
Fry: "Wow, the time-thingy is really getting crowded."
A burst of light.

Int. Shot - Farnsworth’s Home
The plot hole opens up and dumps out Fry. He lands on his back, followed immediately by his backpack.
Fry: (upon landing) "OOF!" (upon being hit in the ying-yangs by his backpack) "OOH!" (upon being hit in the head by the timer) "OW!"
He gets up, groaning, and picks up the timer and backpack. He looks around. The conference room is completely deserted. There’s a newspaper on the floor. It says, in large letters: "KIDS STILL MAKE NUTRITIOUS SNACKS." Fry looks at it, and laughs.
He drops the pack and picks up the paper. He notices the date: "July 18, 3016." He screams.

Int. Shot- Farnsworth’s Home
The plot hole opens up and dumps out Leela. She lands on her stomach.
Leela (groans), sits up, and rubs her stomach. She does this for a second before turning around and watching as the plot hole compresses into itself and disappears.
She looks around to where Fry may be.
LEELA: "Fry? Fry?!? Get out here this instant, this isn’t funny!"
I feel that I must right now remind you that Leela is wearing her green tank-top.
Just making sure because it’s kind of important.
Fry: "Yeah, yeah. I’m coming!"
Fry walks in.
LEELA: "Fry, that was mean. You shouldn’t have been hide…hey, where’s your backpack?"
Fry: "What backpack?"
Leela looks perplexed for a moment.
Bender: (from other room) "HEY! Guess what?"
Fry: "Just a sec, Bender! (to Leela) You coming?"
LEELA: "I guess."
They enter that room from "My Three Suns" with the table and sit down. Bender is wearing a chef’s hat and apron.
Bender: (happy) "I’m gonna be the ship’s cook!"
Fry: "You're gonna be the ship's cook?"
Bender: "Yeah. We're gonna kick it up a notch!" (he slams his fist on the table and yells "Bam!")
LEELA: (realizing where she is and what has happened) "I know you like cooking shows, but you're a robot ... you don't even have a sense of taste!"
Bender: (effeminately) "Honey, I wouldn't talk about taste if I was wearing a lime-green tank top."
Fry makes a cat-claw motion and yells "Bam!" at Leela.
Leela gets up to leave.
Fry: "Where are you going?"
LEELA: "The bathroom."
LEELA’S BRAIN: "I just hope it wasn’t tomorrow that the toilet clogged up."
She opens the bathroom door and enters. LEELA #2 is in the stall, trying to fix the toilet.
LEELA #2: "Stupid Fry, accidentally flushing his…"
Leela looks around and hides in the second stall as the other toilet flushes.
LEELA #2: "There." LEELA #2 exits the room, holding a plunger.

Int. Shot - The Future
Fry is wandering around inside the abandoned PE building. Suddenly, he runs into Fry #2 (37-year-old Fry, with graying hair)
Fry: "Hey, watch it!"
Fry #2: "Hey, watch it!" Both gasp, and mirror each other for the next couple of seconds.
FRIES: "AHH! I’M (young/old)! HELP! STOP IMITATING ME!"
A seemingly 16-year-old Leela runs into the room.
Fela: "Daddy?" (sees both FRIES) "Ah!"
FRIES: "This is really weird. What’s going on?"
Fry #2: "Okay, okay. Wait a minute. Your mother would have tried to figure this out…Who are you?"
Fry: "I’m Fry. What about you?"
Fry: "I’m also Fry."
Fry: "Who’s the girl?"
Fry #2: "This is my daughter, Fela."
Fry: "But Fela…(quietly) Oh, right. I’m in the future."
Fela hears this.
Fela: "Daddy, didn’t you say Mom disappeared when she went time travelling?"
Fry #2: "Yeah…(burst of insight) Yeah! This must be me time travelling! And that means…(he grabs hold of the timer) This device could…"
Fry: "What’s going on? Where’s Leela?"
Fry #2: (sitting down at desk with timer) "Leela disappeared into the timestream, and because I…you…we waited too long to go into that vortex thingy, she never returned. This device would have returned both of us (holds up the timer). Unfortunately, without the technobabble-powered chip in the timer, I was unable to find her again. You (points at Fry) have no idea what you missed. After she disappeared, my life suddenly found new direction. Over the years I learned temporal physics, built the Imaging Chamber (motions to door in the corner), took over the Professor's research when he retired to the Head Museum, helped run Planet Express, raised Fela..."
Fry: "Wait a minute, wait a minute... you mean you... I mean I... finally learned how to change a diaper?"
Fry #2: "Well, yes, but..."
Fry: "Wow... I guess we just never know the things we can be capable of."
Fry #2: "Well I still can't program the coffee-maker."
Fry: "Oh. Damn."
Fry #2: "Yeah. Anyway, I didn’t do most of it. My wife did."
Fry: (oblivious) "Oooh…I get myself tied down?"
As if on cue, a 29-year-old Amy (in a business suit!) walks in.
Amy: "Fry, I…" (her jaw drops in succession to her suitcase) "Oh…my…god…"
Fry: "Hey, Amy."
Amy: (slowly) "Fry…what’s going on?"
Fry #2: (still examining the timer) (while he was talking he opened it up) "This is the me from 16 years ago, Honey."
She still double takes.
Amy: "I’ll call Zoidberg and tell her to stay home today."
Fry #2: (Preempting Fry’S question) "Zoidberg mated 10 years ago and asked us to look after his offspring."
Amy leaves, leaving her suitcase, still staring at the FRIES.
Fry #2: "I need to take this apart in order to save Leela, but that means that the chances of you getting home alive are slim. You have to make a choice: (slowly and deliberately) you or Leela."
Fry sits down, a worried look on his face.

Int. Shot - Planet Express
Leela, meanwhile, has been hiding away, trying not to interfere in the events going on around her (doing a decent job, too). She’s sitting in the empty docking bay, catching her breath. Voices can be heard from the other room.
LEELA: (panting) "Not again…"
She gets up and looks around. The voices are much louder. Finally, she sees that the only hiding place in the room is inside the ship, which she darts into and closes the door behind her. LEELA #2, Fry, and Bender walk in. Bender assumes a position on the couch, and Fry and LEELA #2 at the table.
LEELA #2: "What the hell were you doing? I warned you to stay away from those guys!"
Fry: "I'm capable of making my own decisions, Leela. Did you ever stop to think I might be happier with gills?"
Farnsworth enters
Professor: "Good news, everyone!"
Bender: "I don't like the sound of that..."
Professor: "You'll be making a delivery to the planet Trisol."
Bender: "Here it comes..."
Professor: "A mysterious world in the darkest depths of the forbidden zone."
Bender: (chugging a beer) "Thank you, and good night."
LEELA #2: "Uh, Professor, are we even allowed in the forbidden zone?"
Professor: "Why, of course, it's just a name like the Death Zone or the Zone of No Return. All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror."
LEELA #2: "Uh, Professor..."
Professor: "Off you go! Pleasant trip!"
Farnsworth pushes them towards the ship.

Int. Shot - Cargo Bay
Leela is hiding behind the controls to the magnet. LEELA #2 walks in and up to the bridge, without a comment. DR. Zoidberg walks through humming. Bender and Fry walk in complaining.
Fry: "Can you believe how she chewed me out?"
Bender: "Yeah, actually. She seems to be the kind of human who does that."
Fry: "But take Amy, for example…"
Amy: "Hey guys."
Bender: "That reminds me, I should go get that slug. I left it in front of the radiator."
Amy and Fry look at each other nervously as Bender leaves. The ship starts shuddering slightly, each vibration getting a little bigger and a little more powerful.
Amy: "Better grab hold of something!"
Amy grabs hold of the crane controls, forcing Leela to move. She jumps behind some boxes.
Fry: (holding onto a metal pylon) "What was that?"
Bender rushes through, holding the slug. His legs automatically adjust to the ship’s wobbling, so he remains perfectly balanced.
Bender: (shouting) "Just a second! I’m coming!"
The ladder starts to close, but doesn’t make it all the way.
LEELA #2: (over intra-ship picture phone) "Guys, what’s wrong down there?
Why isn’t the ladder rising?"
Fry: "Oh, that’s right. I left some gum in the thingamabob."
LEELA #2: "Well, get it out!"
No one moves.
Amy: (annoyed) "I’ll get it!"
She wobbles over to the ladder and removes some week-old gum from the mechanism, and the ladder closes without a hitch. The wobbling stops and they rise into the air.
LEELA: (watching the whole time, under her breath) "Oh, great."

Int. Shot - The Future
A close up of Fry.
Fry: "I’ll do it!"
Zoom out. Fry #2 is pleased.
Fry #2: "Great! First we need to know how Leela died, and when she went to. Then someone needs to go back to save her."
Fry #2 takes a chip from the timer and sticks it in a panel near a door in the wall.
Fry: "Hey, uh, wait. Why does this place look so deserted?"
Fela: "We’re moving out. Daddy and I just wanted to take one last look around."
Fry #2 sticks the chip in the panel, and the door hisses open.
Fry #2: "Now, we’ll be able to view what Leela is doing relative to the time you two have been gone, in accordance with the string theory."
Fry stares at him, not comprehending.
Fry #2: "You’ve spent the same amount of time here as she has there, but we can see farther since she’s in the past…look, follow me."
Fry #2 enters the chamber, followed by Fela and Fry.

Ext. Shot - The Imaging Chamber (no joke in this one)
Fela and the FRIES (now appearing at Madison Cube Gardens!) walk through a door sitting in the air. It disappears after they are all inside. Fry looks around, bewildered. It’s Trisol, at night. You remember.
Fry #2: "This is the Imaging Chamber. It can recreate an image of any planet at any point in the past or present. All we needed was the right string signature to locate Leela."
Fry: "Okaaaaaaay…"
Fry #2 looks around. He points to Leela (glowing red) who is fighting all those Trisolians. Bender was watching and lying, but missed the ending. They swarm all over her, in the process a spear is thrust through her body. Fry #2 and Fela both turn away, Fela crying softly, and Fry, upon seeing Leela’s ultimate destruction, kneels down and tries to cover his eyes. A familiar pair of boots steps into the sand next to him, though he is oblivious.
LEELA #2: "Did they get Fry already?!?"
Fry looks up. Fry #2 and Fela both stare at this new Leela.
Crying from the palace window is heard.
LEELA #2: "Nope. That’s him." (she runs off in the direction of the palace, throws the grappling hook she was carrying up to the window, and manages to climb up just in time for her line)
Fry #2: "Of course!"
FRIES: "(My/Your) Leela died while the other Leela managed to save me!"
Fry #2: "Great! Now all you have to do is stop her from being captured. I’ll get cracking on that timer."
Fry #2 leaves the room, and a second later Trisol disappears (presumably because Fry #2 removed the technobabble chip). Fela and Fry look at one another.
Fry: (solomn and serious) "Fela…Fela… (realizing something) hey! Say it really fast and it sounds weird! Fela, Fela, Fela, Fela, Fela…"
Fela: "Okay! Fela, Fela, Fela…"
They continue for about 10 seconds (try it, 10 seconds is an eternity), then Fry stops. Fela keeps going.
Fela: "It does sound weird!"
Fry: "Yeah…uh…(coughs)…Fela, I’ve never really had to talk to my kid, so this is kind of new to me…I guess I start by telling stories."
Fela: "Hey, wait. Why don’t you just use the Chamber?"
Fry: "Good idea! Ever wanted to see yourself be born?"
Fela: "Daddy…I mean, you…never showed me. You were always busy working on finding Mom."
Fry: (dejected) "Oh…so…(to the walls) Her birth! (points at Fela)"
Fela bursts out laughing.
Fry: "What?"
Fela: "Just this whole experience: 1, you are almost my age, and 2, even though you built the Imaging Chamber you can’t use it! You have to put in the date!"
Fry: "Oh, okay. June 5, 3000 at Dr. Zoidberg’s office. At 11:30."
The Chamber shimmers to life as Fela and Fry watch.
Leela is on a bed, with Fry #3 and Bender standing next to her. Fry #3 keeps running around in little circles, much like the "Fire, fire fire fire fire" guy from the Simpsons’ "Mountain of Madness". DR. Zoidberg is standing in front of Leela.
DR. Zoidberg: "Okay. I read up on this. Now you’re supposed to feel pain."
LEELA: "I don’t feel anything."
Fry: "He was never that good of a doctor."
DR. Zoidberg: (looking around) "Okay, then. You’re supposed to push something or other."
LEELA: "You mean this?" (clenches her teeth and grimaces)
DR. Zoidberg: "Yes, that’s the thingy. Now, keep pushing that thingy."
LEELA: "You know, Fry, the father is supposed to give moral support here." (starts pushing)
Bender looks at Fry #3, going around in little circles.
Bender: "I’d say that he needs moral support here."
Fela laughs at Fry #3.
Fry: "What?"
DR. Zoidberg: "Okay, I see purple coming from the thingy. I think that’s your young."
LEELA: "It better be, this is starting to ache."
Fry: "To tell the truth, I don’t think I ever knew Leel…I mean, your mom…in a good mood."
DR. Zoidberg: "Done!"
Fry stops circling. Zoidberg hands him the baby in a blanket, and he presents it to Leela. She has purple hair with orange highlights, Fry’s nose and mouth…and Leela’s eye.
Fry #3: "Okay, Bender. I owe you five bucks; she has one eye."
Fela blinks at Fry.
Fela: "You bet on whether I would have one or two eyes?"
Fry: "Bender hustled me!"
LEELA: (sitting up) "Pretty, isn’t she?"
Fry #3: "Yeah, I guess she is."
LEELA: "Does Fela sound good to you?"
Fela: "Hey! Daddy said he chose my name!"
Fry: (defensive) "I didn’t mean it!"
Fry #3: "Sure…(starts tickling Fela) a goochie goo, a gooch…Ow! (starts shaking hand) She bit my finger! I…oh, she was hungry."
Leela starts laughing under her breath.
Fry: "CUT!"
Dr. Zoidberg’S office disappears. Fry sits on the ground, feeling depressed.
Fry: (sigh) "I miss Leela…she was smart…and pretty…and she was always there for me. Oooh…I feel so bad. She was trying to save me when she died…"
He starts crying softly.
Fela: (kneeling down next to Fry) "Cheer up, Daddy…I mean, you’re trying to save her, right?"
Fry: "But it’s my fault!"
Fela: "I know. Daddy knows. Mom knows. But the point is that you’re going to undo what you did."
Fry: (who’s gush of tears has started to subside) "How’d you get so good at this?"
Fela: "Getting Daddy through it. He felt the same way since I was little."
Fry: "You ever met your mom?"
Fela: "Only through the Chamber."
Fry: "You want to come with me? I mean, when I go back into the past?"
Fela: (thinking) "I think I’d like that."
Fry: (smiles through the tears) "Thanks for getting Leela’s brain."
Fela: (small smile) "My pleasure." They both smile at one another as they exit the Chamber.

Int. Shot - Fry’s Room
Fry #2 is huddled over a trunk. Fry stands in the doorway.
Fry: "Shouldn’t you be working on that time-thingy?"
Fry #2: "You do realize, of course, that if you succeed I will cease to exist?"
Fry: "Uh…"
Fry #2: "Is it ethical what I’m doing? Changing the lives of trillions of people for Leela?"
Fry: "Er…"
Fry #2: "Anyway, I was just spending some time down memory lane before I go, because if I know me, I’ll succeed."
Fry walks over to the trunk. Inside is Leela’s anthology book, one of her outfits, and a single purple hair.
Fry #2: "But no matter. I was done anyway. You’re all ready to go."
Fry: "I…"

Int. Shot - Docking Bay
The docking bay is in a state of disrepair, and the ship is nowhere to be seen. Fela, FRIES 1 and 2, and Amy are all present.
Fry #2: (while looking at the timer) "I modified it to follow Leela’S string signature, which means you’ll basically be following her through the timestream."
Fry: "Look, I…"
Amy: (forcing it) "Even though it would mean that Fry and I never got together, I wish you luck."
Fry: "Amy, me…wait a second. I have to tell you that Fela wants to come with me."
Amy: (curses in other language) "I won’t let you! Leela told me to protect her!"
FRIES: "Amy…"
Fry #2: "…he probably just wants to take her to meet her mother."
Amy: (holding back tears) "But I’m trying to be her mother! You both won’t notice me! You’ve spent the past 16 years trying to get Leela back, and the only reason you married me was because you knew you couldn’t raise Fela yourself! You spent your entire life looking for Leela, while I had to hold down a job and raise your daughter! And, speaking of Fela, she’s playing psychologist when you get too depressed! I’ve been trying to be her mom for 16 years, and you both won’t let me! Now, you’re going to erase the progress I have made with you just so you can be with that…that…" (she breaks down and starts crying)
Fry, by this point, has backed up so that he is merely the observer of this marital strife. Fry #2 offers his arms to Amy, and he starts hugging her.
Fry #2: "I…I…didn’t know. I’m…sorry. (sighs) I don’t know what to do..."
Fela: "Amy…I mean, mother…I always thought of you as my mother."
Amy: (sniff) "Really?"
Fela: "Yeah."
Fela hugs Amy, and the three of them (Fry #2, Amy, and Fela) share a group hug.
Amy: "You go ahead. I’m pretty sure I’ll be happier however it turns out."
After a suitable amount of time, Fry #2 throws the timer to Fry, who opens up a plot hole.
Fry: "Anyone heading for the past better get in now…"
Fry #2: "…it’s only open for one minute."
Fela gives a good-bye hug and kiss to Amy and her father, then jumps in the ever-changing blue swirl. Fry prepares to jump in.
Fry #2: "Hey!"
Fry turns around.
Fry #2: "Give ‘em hell, man!"
Fry nods, then jumps through the plot hole, and it closes. Fry #2 and Amy sit there, Fry #2 comforting Amy.

(commercial break) (and we’re back)

Int. Shot - the PE Bridge
Leela sits there, trying to figure out what to do and watching the suns set, when all of a sudden, a plot hole opens in front of her. She stares at it, wide-eyed, as a sixteen-year-old version of herself comes flying out of it onto her.
Fela/LEELA: "OW! Hey, get off!"
The both move away from each other just in time for Fry to land where they were.
Fela: (getting up) "Wow…that was better then…sex!"
Fry: "And how would you know?"
LEELA: "Fry…"
Fry turns around and faces Leela. He rushes over to her and starts kissing her.
LEELA: (trying to pry Fry off of her) "Fry…what’s gotten into you?"
Fry: "I was in the future, and while I was there I realized just how much I missed you."
LEELA: "So why are you here now."
Fry: "It’s kind of long…"
Fela steps out from behind Fry into her mother’s line of sight.
Fela: "Hi…Mom."
Fry: "…and complex."

Int. Shot - the PE Bridge
It’s now night, and Fry and Fela have been explaining the whole thing as best they can.
LEELA: "So, basically, now if I go after you when Bender calls, I’ll die?"
Fela: "That’s it."
LEELA: "So I just won’t go after you then."
Fry: "No, you have to, otherwise, the you that’s here will die the same way."
LEELA: "So it’s a choice of I die several months ago, or I die now?"
Fela: "Unless you can think of a better diversion."
LEELA: "I think I can."
The videophone rings.
Fela: "That would be you (points at Fry)."
It stops.
LEELA: "Okay, here’s my plan…(whispers to the other two)…it’s going to interfere with history but we don’t have a choice."

Ext. Shot - Trisol
The crowd is assembled around the Juice-O-Matic 4000 and getting restless. LEELA #2 is running towards the crowd, and as they notice, the PE ship rises up from the horizon and flies overhead, giving LEELA #2 the element of surprise. Almost lost in the crowd beneath, we see Leela fighting her way past a never-ending onpour of Trisolians. She performs a variety of fighting moves on them, and is able to splash a number of her enemies to bits, but is eventually overpowered and surrounded.
The ship turns around and goes back to the landing place.

Int. Shot - Throne Room
Amy: Oh no, they have her totally outnumbered!
Fry #3: I can't believe it! She's risking her life for me after the way I treated her? (moans) I don't deserve this. I feel terrible.
This gives Bender an idea. When Fry (who has now walked away from the window back to his throne) asks if Leela is alright, Bender tells him in an obviously phony tone of voice that the aliens are swarming all over her. When Amy, who has a clear view of what is actually going on outside, protests, Bender cups his hand over her mouth, and after a little helpless muttering, she finally gets it. Bender returns to the window.
Bender: They're strapping her to the juicer! Oh, they're putting some ice-cubes in the glass under it.
Fry #3: (sobs) This can't be happening!
Bender: It can, and for all you know, it is. [walks over to Fry] I'm sorry , Fry ... she's dead.
Fry is hunched over one arm of the throne, and his eyes are beginning to water.
A single tear forms, and falls through the air until it lands inside the "royal bottle," which is waiting in Amy's hands beneath Fry's head. Fry speaks remorsefully to himself.
Fry #3: (slowly; sadly) All Leela ever wanted to do was help me, and I was too proud and stupid to accept it. I wish I had died instead of her.
LEELA #2: What are you talking about?

Int. Shot - Bridge
Leela is steering while Fry and Fela exchange high fives. Suddenly the timer beeps.
Fry: "The other me must have set the timer for immediately after you were supposed to die…"
LEELA: "Wait! Weren’t you supposed to take me back?"
The plot hole opens itself in front of Fry and sucks in Fela immediately.
Fry: "I’m coming back in a minute!"
LEELA: "What?"
Fry: "I said…"
Too late. He’s sucked into the plot hole.

Int. Shot - PE Building
The plot hole opens and deposits Fry and Fela onto the floor. Fry #2 and FUTURE LEELA walk up. Fry looks up at Fry #2.
Fry: "Fela, we succeeded."
Fry #2: "What are you doing back?"
Fry: "Don’t you remember? You sent me back to save Leela from being killed."
FUT. LEELA: "I sent you back to your time to prevent him (motions to Fry #2) from being lost in the timestream. (looks at Fela) Who are you?"
Fela: "Mom! Don’t you remember me?!? I’m your daughter!"
FUT. LEELA: "We never had a daughter."
Fela runs past them to the Imaging Chamber door.
Fry: "Fela! Wait!"
He rushes after her.

Int. Shot - Imaging Chamber
Fela is watching as Dr. Zoidberg hums to himself in his office on the day she was supposed to be born. Fry opens the Imaging Chamber Door (just had to say that!) and enters.
Fry: "So where are we?"
Fela: "This is the time and day I was supposed to be born. Where’s mom?
Where are you? Where am I?"
Fry: "Something must have happened to prevent your con…con…you know, when your mom and I…"
Fela: "Uh huh…"
Fry: "Because Leela would never abandon her baby. Ever."
Fry has a burst of insight.
Fry: "Wait! This timer! The other me changed it to track some yarn pattern or something, but it might be able to find where the change happened."
Fela: "But in order to locate the time distortion, we’d need to remove the technobabble chip and some other circuits and install them in the Imaging Chamber electronics, in exactly the right place, or they’ll short out, and no one who knows how to do that is here."
Fry looks devilishly at his daughter.
Fela: "Well…Daddy did give me some lessons on how this thing supposedly works."
Fry: "Hey, wait. Weren’t you supposed to disappear or something when we changed history?"
Fela: "Well, actually, there’s a theory that if you’re in the past before something is changed, then the resulting ripple wouldn’t affect you. This ties into the theory that temporal distortions take longer to reach the present than a few nanoseconds. It’s apparently true."
Fry: "Huh…?"
Fela: "Never mind."

N/A - Time Lapse
Time lapse of Fela and Fry working on the timer (including one shot of them both watching Sliders: The Next Generation) until finally.

Int. Shot - Farnsworth’s Lab
Fela is hunched over the timer, and Fry watches over her shoulder. Fela puts the case on the timer.
Fela: "There. I got the chip out. Now all we have to do is install it in the Imaging Chamber electronics."
Fry slaps his forehead.

N/A - Time Lapse
Similar time lapse with Fela and Fry working on the Imaging Chamber electronics.
Finally, they step inside.

Int. Shot - Imaging Chamber
Fela and Fry watch as Leela (again outlined in red) sneaks down the hatch into the galley and starts rooting around. She finally finds a jar of brown-green "mashed potatoes" labeled swamp root. She breaks it on the ground, and the automatic cleaning robot comes in and sucks it up, never to be seen again.
Fela: "You mean I’m a swamp root baby?"
Fry: "I never told you? God I’m an idiot."
Fela: (indignant) "I’ll say!"
Fry: (to walls) "FREEZE!"
The action stops as Leela is in the middle of jumping behind some a counter because Bender is climbing down the hatch.
Fry: "We need to go back and stop her from throwing that swamp root on the ground."
Fela: "I can’t believe I’m a swamp root baby!"
Fry: "Sorry. But we need to get back, so we need that chip back in the timer."
Fela: (taking a deep breath) "We’d also have to program it for that point in time, and I know only a little bit about that."
Fry: "We’ll try anyway."
Two more people enter the Imaging Chamber.
FUT. LEELA: "Oh my god…"
Fry #2 stares, bewildered, at his wife.
Fry #2: "You mean we would have had a daughter?!?"
FUT. LEELA: "Yes…I stopped us."
Fry #2: "I can’t believe you, Leela! All that talk about having a child of our own…!"
Fry: (to Fela) "Oh great. Today I’ve split up two marriages, both my own!"
Fela and Fry exit the Imaging Chamber, leaving the other Fry and Future Leela to argue.

Int. Shot - Farnsworth’s Lab
Subtitled "Later…" Fela and Fry are exhausted.
Fry: "We’ve been working for hours…but we’re done…"
Fry puts the case back on the poor timer. He hands it to Fela.
Fry: "Would you like the honors?"
She points the timer at a reasonably open area, and opens up the plot hole.
Fela: "I hope this works, I had to estimate the vortex vibration rate." (Fela jumps in)
The vortex shimmers a little, then turns a completely different color. Undaunted, Fry follows his daughter into the spinning vortex.

Int. Shot - Farnsworth’s Lab
Zoidberg, Amy (holding the infant Fela), Farnsworth, and Hermes are waiting patiently around the table. The Fictional Integrity Drive hums on the table. From the opposite end of the room from where they are looking, a plot hole appears and dumps out Fry.
Farnsworth: "It works! Even the automatic recall!"
Fry: "Professor…Fela…Leela…in the past…"
Fry falls over, passed out. The rest of the company look over his body.

Int. Shot - Galley
Inside the galley on the PE ship, the ever-present plot hole opens itself and spits out a 16-year-old girl with purple hair and one eye. The sound of searching through cabinets is heard, and in slow motion, Fela runs to the trapdoor, jumps down, and manages to prevent the swamp root from hitting the ground. Back to regular motion.
Fela: (screaming) "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
LEELA: "Fela! You…"
Fela: "Why are you trying to kill me?"
LEELA: "I…"
Fela: "Why?"
LEELA: "Stop asking and I’ll tell you. I thought I’d do you a favor and prevent you from being raised with no mom, or an unhappy mom, because of three things: (counting on her fingers) 1, Fry and I weren’t meant for each other. He’s oafish, an idiot, and his main activities of the day involve the TV and beer. 2, I wasn’t ready to have a child. Only a few months before I had been dating like a maniac. 3, what kind of home would that be for a child?"
Fela: "So murder’s okay with you? Daddy said that he considered abortion, but you shot him down. What happened?"
LEELA: "I’ve had the experience of several months with you. My views about children have changed since then."
Fela: (sighs) "Sorry for being a baby when I was a baby. But you’re going to end up with a child who loves you, because even though I only met you yesterday, I already love you because you’re my Mom. And your Fela will feel the same way. When I was 10, I fell off the top of the bookshelf and broke my arm. Daddy kept saying that you would have saved me if you’d been there. When I was 7, I accidentally set the rug on fire when I was bored because Daddy was trying to find you. He does love you. And I love you. And your Fela loves you. Why would you want to kill her?"
A tear rolls down Leela’s cheek.
LEELA: "And you said Fry raised you?"
Fela puts the swamp root back in the cabinet, takes out the timer, and opens up a plot hole above them.
Fela: "Now, come on, they’re waiting for you after I was born!"
Leela jumps up into the plot hole, followed by her daughter.

N/A - Message
Black background, white text.
"EPILOGUE"

Int. Shot - Farnsworth’s Lab
Everyone (Fela, Amy, INFANT Fela, Leela, Fry, Farnsworth, Zoidberg, Bender, and Hermes) is assembled around the conference table, on which sits the timer and the Fictional Integrity Drive.
Farnsworth: "Fela, in theory, your other set of parents exists in a parallel dimension. And based on the blueprints I discovered in Old San Francisco, I modified the timer to send you 16 years into the future and into an alternate dimension. After that, you can keep sliding from dimension to dimension until you find the one with Amy and Fry."
Farnsworth hands the timer to Fela.
Farnsworth: "Have a nice trip."
Fela: "Thanks. Good-bye, Mom."
LEELA: "Good-bye, Fela."
Fela kisses Leela on the cheek.
Fela: "Good-bye, Daddy."
She kisses Fry on the cheek.
Fry: "Why don’t you just stay here with us, Fell?"
Fela: "For the little me. It’d be too weird to have an older version of yourself around. I had to deal with it for awhile because of one of Daddy’s earlier experiments. And I miss my Fry and my Amy. I want to find them again."
Fry: (understanding, a little disappointed) "Oh…okay…"
Fela: "Good-bye, Amy. Hope your life turns out better then my Amy’S did."
She shakes Amy’S hand.
Fela: (tickling under INFANT Fela’S chin) "See ya later, you." (INFANT
Fela gurgles happily)
Farnsworth: "You better go. That timer only has one escape window."
Fela opens the plot hole.
Fela: "Bye-bye everybody!"
Bender: "We get it!"
After one last look, Fela jumps in the plot hole and disappears forever.

A few notes to the reader:

Fela eventually found "her" parents. However, she had some interesting adventures along the way which we might spin off into a series

Fry and Leela eventually married, though
Fry cannot remember the events leading up to the marriage

Amy did not grow bitter and remorse, but instead kept her youthful fun-loving exuberance

Zoidberg did not mate 6 years later